As the past few years caused us to slow down we became even more acutely aware of every person’s impact on our beautiful planet. We have really brought into focus what we can do at Apolina to improve our ways and lessen our impact. We are big believers that each small step makes a difference – being mindful with our choices and striving for continuous improvement is key. Our sustainability efforts are very much ongoing, but we are pleased to share some positive changes we have made, and are making.
- Degradable / Compostable garment protection packaging
- Sustainable paper mailer
- Recycled paper products
- Sustainable natural Corozo buttons
- Increase in Organic cotton and linen options within the range from SS22 collection
- Smaller, more continual, production runs, rather than a focus on two set ‘seasons’ – this allows our workers stability and continual employment.
- Working with a sole factory is rare in this industry (most brands use a variety of manufacturers/vendors). This allows us to build strong relationships, to reduce our waste fabric, and gives us easier transparency.
- Focus on utilising local traditional craft handwork skills.
REUSE OF EXCESS FABRICS
Patchwork is a long-time love of ours. At the heart of Apolina is the love of craft and patchwork has appeared in our collections since Aw18. When looking at all the possible solutions for using up the small amounts of our leftover cloth, this one seemed perfectly us! Our talented team in India have produced a very limited edition run of incredible fully-patchworked pieces – each one unique and the true definition of a modern heirloom. We couldn’t be more excited about this special seasonal project.
Chatting with our right-hand lady in India, we came up with the idea to donate our production rejects to our hardworking ‘aunties’ (the group of women responsible for all our hand smocking and hand stitch finishes). Production rejects are typically held for two years and then our factory is able to remove branding and sell on these pieces themselves in India.
We decided it would be a lovely gesture to give these pieces to the team at a funded party to celebrate completing the summer collection. Many of the aunties have children and grandchildren, and it’s so lovely to see them wearing these pieces. Since Caroline couldn’t be there this season we were sent pictures from the party and heard that everyone really enjoyed themselves, with games, sweeties and presents for all the children.